Monday, October 20, 2014

Amy Pejkovic talks fitness with ELLE Australia


Our beauty and not to mention Australian high-jump champion Amy Pejkovic shares her secrets with ELLE Australia on how she keeps fit, with 9 training sessions a week this secret is one we don't want to miss... 

 


How do you like to keep fit?
Being an athlete I train several times a week, including double sessions. I'll wake up early and do a gym session then head to the track that afternoon.  

What does your daily exercise routine involve?
It defiantly varies from day to day; a track session may consist of running, then the next day it can be plyometrics [jump training], high jump technical sessions, gym sessions and Pilates. It all depends on what my coach has programmed for me.  

What’s the best way to motivate yourself?
Picture your goal every single day. I have 1.9 meters and 2.10 meters, which is the world record, measured on the wall in my room. It's a daily reminder of what I'm working towards. 

And your favourite smoothie recipe?
To be honest I don't really have a favourite. But there always has to be bananas and blueberries mixed into it.  

Best snack to keep you energised?
Apples and bananas, or if I'm feeling spontaneous during the day I will cook up porridge, regardless of the fact I have it every day for breakfast. I mix in banana and mixed berries with cinnamon and honey. 

What is the one thing you never fail to do for your body?
Get enough sleep. Sleep is extremely crucial for an athlete, or for any person in fact. Having such long days with training in the morning, shooting during the day, then training in the evening can take its toll on your body. I generally try and take a twenty-minute power nap during the day – that's all your body needs to keep functioning.