Monday, February 11, 2013

Nicole Pollard's Date With Kate


Brisbane-born model Nicole Pollard was discovered in her home town at the age of 15. Now 18, she is one of Australia's top model exports and has walked exclusively for Dior for the past two seasons. Kate Waterhousechatted with the glamazon about her whirlwind success, fighting nerves on the catwalk and her love life.

What are you doing while you are back in Australia?
I came back for the Dior store opening. My boyfriend has come down from Brisbane so I've been hanging out with him. We have just been relaxing and recouping for a bit. We went to the zoo yesterday, which was a lot of fun.

When you were younger, did you always want to be a model?
I kind of did. When I was 13, I got an interest in it and then it just kind of turned into a job. I have always been really tall - I'm just over six foot. I have a tall family; I was always the tallest in my class. In all the school photos, I was always back and centre.

How did you get your first big break?
Locally, it was when I joined Chic in 2011 and walked for Australian Fashion Week, and it just kicked off from there. Internationally, my first big break was last season during couture Paris week. The past six months have been a whirlwind.

How did your relationship with Dior come about?
It was when I went over for the couture shows. I went in for the standard casting process and Dior put me on worldwide exclusive for that season of shows and campaign. It has continued over to this season, which has been awesome. To be picked up by one of the big houses in Paris is really exciting. I don't follow fashion that much but I've always looked at [Dior] as a beautiful brand and as one of the top houses, so being picked up by them is quite amazing.

Do you get nervous on the catwalk?
Yes, every time I go on! I still get butterflies every time, but once you get onto the catwalk, you just block everything else out and you focus on getting to the end without tripping or falling. Fortunately, I haven't had any major dramas; I've been pretty lucky so far.

What has been the biggest change in your life since your success?
Probably the travel factor, being overseas a lot. I still try to live in Brisbane as much as possible. I don't have a base overseas yet so I'm just kind of floating around at the moment.

Do you plan to move overseas?
Not at the moment. I'll see how work goes, but I never really want to live over there. I like living at home too much. I love Australia so I want to get back as much as I possibly can, and I've got my boyfriend in Brisbane.

Is it hard to manage your relationship with the travel?
It's all right, I just miss him. There's a lot of Skyping and Facebooking. If I travel to Sydney, he might come down with me, but he hasn't been overseas yet. He has to get a passport first and then he can come over.

There are so many Australian models working internationally. Do you spend much time with fellow Aussie models?
If we are in the same city, we try to meet up; it's always nice to see a friendly face in town. Even if you're just going for a coffee or bump into them at a casting, it makes it a lot nicer when you are away from home.

What do you do for fun?
I just like relaxing at home - watching a movie in bed, hanging out with friends or sitting in the sun. I always miss that when I'm away and it's cold.

As a model, do you have a strict fitness and beauty regime?
Fitness, not so much, I just try to keep myself healthy, nothing too extreme. Beauty, it's pretty simple. I wash my face at night and put a moisturiser on and leave it at that.

Will you be home for Australian Fashion Week?
Yes, I am planning on it. I'm hoping to do Melbourne and Sydney. It's always fun to come home for them. It's relaxed, and you get to hang with friends. It's a good week.

THEY WENT TO The Living Room, Park Hyatt Sydney.
THEY ATE Afternoon tea selection of bite-size savoury sandwiches, dainty desserts and scones with jam and clotted cream.
THEY DRANK NV Moet & Chandon Brut Imperial Rosé´.
NICOLE WORE Christian Dior head to toe.